CalFresh benefits are issued on an EBT card that works like a debit card. You can use it at most grocery stores and many farmers markets. Find stores and farmers markets that accept CalFresh.
When you use CalFresh at farmers markets, some offer a Market Match program which gives additional dollars to spend at the farmers market. Find Farmers Markets that accept CalFresh and offer Market Match.
CalFresh can be used to buy food like:
- Fruits and vegetables;
- Beans, fish, poultry, meat;
- Rice, bread, tortillas, cereal;
- Milk and cheese; and
- Seeds and plants that produce food.
CalFresh cannot be used to buy:
- Alcohol, tobacco, cigarettes;
- Non-food items (pet food, toilet paper, diapers, soap, etc.);
- Vitamins and medicine;
- Foods that will be eaten in the store; and
- Hot foods (unless your county participates in the Restaurant Meals Program).